Looking for things to do in the Inverness area during your holiday? Maybe you’re about to embark on the North Coast 500? What a great opportunity to develop your landscape photography skills! I’d love it if you’d join me for a day out with our cameras on the picturesque Black Isle!
- Duration: 1 day
- Start/Finish: We’ll agree a suitable meeting point on the Black Isle or close by
- Suitability: Suitable for beginners and intermediate photographers. All locations are within a short walking distance. Average level of fitness required.
- Price: £300 for an individual | £350 for 2 people | £400 for 3 or 4 people
- Develop your photography skills in the beautiful landscapes of the Black Isle, a peninsula to the north of Inverness, surrounded by water on three sides.
- Get off the beaten track and discover peaceful woodlands and waterfalls.
- Step back in time at sites of historical interest.
- Learn from one-to-one tuition in the field and a critique session.
- Enjoy a relaxing lunch, either at The Storehouse or Munro’s Nurseries.
The Black Isle is a relatively undiscovered gem just a stone’s throw from the Highland capital of Inverness across the Kessock Bridge, and a short detour from the North Coast 500. I’ll take you to some beautiful locations on this scenic peninsula, most of them away from the tourist hot-spots. I’ve worked with clients who have lived on the Black Isle all their lives and have never previously visited some of these locations!
I’ve lived here since 2013 and have spent the last seven years exploring this corner of the Highlands, discovering the coastline, sites of historical interest and peaceful woodlands and waterfalls, all set against a backdrop of the seasonal changes in this agricultural landscape. It’s difficult to do justice to the Black Isle in a single day and you’ll likely want to return next time you’re staying in Inverness!
Below is a sample itinerary, to give you an idea of the number and types of locations we’ll visit. Expect this to change a little, so that we can take advantage of the weather and tidal conditions on the day. Also, don’t worry if you think you might ‘run out of steam’ by the afternoon; I don’t mind substituting the last location for a café!
09:30 – Meet and greet.
10:00 – We’ll arrive at our first location, Castle Craig, the ruins of a sixteenth century tower house overlooking the Cromarty Firth. We’ll run through some theory before setting up our cameras and tripods for the first time.
11:00 – We’ll move on to Newhall Point near Balblair to photograph some boats and maybe even dabble with HDR.
13:30 – We’ll explore a peaceful woodland at Findon and practice capturing more detailed images within the landscape.
15:00 – We’ll take a walk up the enchanting Fairy Glen behind Rosemarkie, which will give us the opportunity to stretch our legs and photograph two impressive waterfalls.
17:00 – Drop off.
The price includes the following:
- A light lunch (e.g. soup and a sandwich) served with a hot drink.
- All transport during the workshop and pick-up and drop-off in the Black Isle area.
- One-to-one tuition and critique session.
The price does NOT include the following:
- Any additional meals or snacks.
- Any other items not referred to in the itinerary.
Still have a few questions? That’s okay! Just click the link below and I’ll do my best to answer them.
© Karen Thorburn Photography
All rights reserved
Privacy & Cookies Policy