“Absolutely fantastic and highly recommended for those who want to improve their photography.
I was amazed at Karen’s knowledge and skill in teaching.ROSE NICHOLLS
Everything we discussed was tailored to my skill level with Karen providing lots of useful hints and tips (plus a handy guide emailed to me afterwards).
By the end of the workshop, I could see an improvement in my photography and felt like I’d known Karen for years as she was so friendly and made me feel completely relaxed.
I’ll definitely be booking another workshop!”
Looking for things to do in the Inverness area during your holiday? Maybe you’re about to embark on the North Coast 500? What a great opportunity to develop your landscape photography skills! I’d love it if you’d join me for a day out with our cameras on the picturesque Black Isle!
- Develop your photography skills in the beautiful landscapes of the Black Isle, a peninsula to the north of Inverness.
- Get off the beaten track and discover peaceful woodlands and waterfalls.
- Spend a day alone with a friendly and down-to-earth professional photographer who will put you at ease.
- Learn from one-to-one tuition in the field, with feedback delivered in a positive way which won’t dent your confidence.
- Enjoy a relaxing lunch at Rosemarkie Beach Café, complete with cake!
- Access to a free landscape photography eBook to reinforce the key learning points from the workshop.
“Karen provided a very enjoyable and helpful day for both myself, an intermediate amateur, and my wife, who has a great eye but is not into the ‘tech’ part of photography.DAVID AND SUSAN VAN BLARCOM
Karen has a genuine warmth and empathy as a teacher that lets her find each student at their level and give calm, helpful suggestions.
In between locations, Karen was delightful company and showed us some other Black Isle sights.”
The Black Isle is a relatively undiscovered gem just a stone’s throw from the Highland capital of Inverness across the Kessock Bridge, and a short detour from the North Coast 500. I’ll take you to some beautiful locations on this scenic peninsula, most of them away from the tourist hot-spots. I’ve worked with clients who have lived on the Black Isle all their lives and have never previously visited some of these locations!
I’ve lived here since 2013 and have spent these past years exploring this corner of the Highlands, discovering the coastline, sites of historical interest and peaceful woodlands and waterfalls, all set against a backdrop of the seasonal changes in this agricultural landscape. It’s difficult to do justice to the Black Isle in a single day and you’ll likely want to return next time you’re staying in Inverness!
Below is a sample itinerary, to give you an idea of the number and types of locations we’ll visit. Expect this to change a little, so that we can take advantage of the weather and tidal conditions on the day. Also, don’t worry if you think you might ‘run out of steam’ by the afternoon; I don’t mind substituting the last location for a café!
09:30 – Meet and greet.
10:00 – We’ll arrive at our first location, Castle Craig, the ruins of a sixteenth century tower house overlooking the Cromarty Firth. We’ll run through some theory before setting up our cameras and tripods for the first time.
11:00 – We’ll move on to Udale Bay to photograph some boats and maybe even dabble with HDR.
12:30 – We’ll head over to the hill to Rosemarkie Beach Café for a relaxing lunch (cake included!).
15:00 – We’ll take a walk up the enchanting Fairy Glen behind Rosemarkie, which will give us the opportunity to stretch our legs and photograph two impressive waterfalls.
17:00 – Drop off.
“I took up photography about six months ago and booked a day on the Black Isle.kevin thomas
Karen quickly worked out what level I was at, and planned the day accordingly.
I gained a lot of new knowledge on the day, which I think will be of great use moving forward.
As well as the learning, the day was really enjoyable and Karen was great company. The day passed too quickly!”
Summary and Booking
- Duration: 1 day
- Start/Finish: We’ll agree a suitable meeting point on the Black Isle or close by.
- Suitability: Suitable for beginners and intermediate photographers. All locations are within a short walking distance. Average level of fitness required.
- Price: £300 for an individual | £350 for 2 people | £375 for 3 people
The price includes the following:
- A light lunch (e.g. a panini) served with a hot drink and a sugary treat!
- All transport during the workshop and pick-up and drop-off in the Black Isle area.
- One-to-one in-depth tuition covering camera settings and composition.
- Auto to manual camera settings in one day.
- Feedback session delivered in a positive way.
- Access to a comprehensive landscape photography eBook.
The price does NOT include the following:
- Any additional meals or snacks.
- Any other items not referred to in the itinerary.
Still have a few questions? That’s okay! Just click the link below and I’ll do my best to answer them.
© Karen Thorburn Photography
All rights reserved
Privacy & Cookies Policy