If you’re looking for things to do in Ullapool, why not join me for a day out with our cameras in Assynt and Coigach? I’d love to help you develop your landscape photography skills in the majestic surroundings of the north west Highlands.
- Duration: 1 day
- Start/Finish: We’ll agree a suitable meeting point in Ullapool or Lochinver
- Suitability: Suitable for beginners and intermediate photographers. All locations are within a short walking distance. Average level of fitness required.
- Price: £300 for an individual | £400 for 2 people | £450 for 3 or 4 people
“Just wanted to thank you again for the wonderful course we recently attended with you.clare and gordon armstrong
The whole day was fantastic and seeing some of the area we grew up in and exploring other places on our doorstep was great! While learning some new skills and working the camera to its fullest potential and creating some amazing shots!
Now off to practice everything that we learnt before our holidays next year!”
- Develop your photography skills in the spectacular landscapes of Assynt and Coigach, to the north of Ullapool in the Scottish Highlands.
- Discover lochs, bays and beaches with stunning mountainous backdrops.
- Learn from one-to-one tuition in the field and a critique session.
- Enjoy a delicious and relaxing lunch at Lochinver Larder.
The region of Assynt and Coigach in the north west Highlands is home to some spectacular coastal and mountain scenery. This is one of my favourite areas for landscape photography, particularly in autumn, when the landscape turns to a beautiful palette of green, orange and gold, and the silence is broken only by the sound of stags rutting on the hillsides. The mountains aren’t particularly high but what they lack in height, they make up for in character.
Below is a sample itinerary, to give you a feel for the type of locations we’ll visit during the workshop. Expect this to change a little, so that we can take advantage of the weather and tidal conditions on the day. Also, don’t worry if you think you might ‘run out of steam’ by the afternoon; I don’t mind substituting one of the afternoon locations for a café!
09:30 – Meet and greet.
10:00 – Arrive at our first location, Loch Cul Dromannan, which offers spectacular views towards the mountains of Ben More Coigach and Stac Pollaidh. We’ll run through some theory before setting up our cameras and tripods.
11:30 – We’ll follow the single track road past Stac Pollaidh and visit Achnahaird; a beautiful beach and ideal vantage point for photographing the Assynt mountains.
13:00 – Enjoy a relaxing lunch at the Lochinver Larder, famed for its delicious pies!
14:00 – Capture a panoramic view of the Assynt mountains from Strone, to the north of Lochinver, before moving on to Clachtoll where we’ll practice photographing details within the landscape.
16:00 – Pause at Loch Assynt to photograph the ruins of Ardvreck Castle with the mountain of Quinag beyond.
17:00 – Drop off.
“Just a wee note to say thanks for yesterday’s day out to the north west. Really enjoyable and your tuition has inspired me to get out and experience this great land through, hopefully, taking memorable images.”sandy young
The price includes the following:
- A wholesome lunch served with a hot drink.
- All transport during the workshop and pick-up and drop-off in Ullapool or Lochinver.
- One-to-one in-depth tuition covering camera settings and composition.
- Auto to manual camera settings in one day.
- Feedback session delivered in a positive way.
- Access to a comprehensive landscape photography eBook.
The price does NOT include the following:
- Any additional meals or snacks.
- Any other items not referred to in the itinerary.
Still have a few questions? No worries! Just click the link below and I’ll do my best to answer them.
© Karen Thorburn Photography
All rights reserved
Privacy & Cookies Policy