Dates: please contact me to arrange a suitable date
Duration: 1 day
Start/Finish: I will pick you up at your accommodation in the Inverness or Black Isle area
Grade: Easy/Moderate (suitable for beginners and intermediate photographers; all locations are within short walking distance; average level of fitness required)
Price: £150 for an individual | £200 for a couple
- Develop your photography skills in the beautiful landscapes of the Black Isle, a peninsula to the north of Inverness surrounded by water on three sides.
- Explore the coastline around Udale Bay, a nature reserve home to thousands of wildfowl and wading birds between late summer and spring.
- Get off the beaten track and discover peaceful woodlands and waterfalls.
- Step back in time at sites of historical interest, including Kirkmichael, Old Cullicudden and Castle Craig.
- Learn from one-to-one tuition in the field and a critique session.
Spend a day developing your landscape photography skills in the relaxed company of Karen Thorburn and enjoy exploring the picturesque Black Isle.
The Black Isle is a relatively undiscovered gem just a stone’s throw from the Highland capital of Inverness, across the Kessock Bridge. Whether you live in the area or are here on holiday, I will take you to some beautiful locations on this scenic peninsula, most of them away from the tourist hot-spots. I’ve lived here since 2013 and have spent the last five years exploring this corner of the Highlands, discovering the coastline, sites of archaeological interest and peaceful woodlands set in amongst the seasonal changes of the agricultural landscape. It’s difficult to do justice to the Black Isle in a single day and you might find yourself wanting to return!
Learn from one-to-one tuition in the field and a critique session which will be delivered in a positive way with the intention of inspiring you as opposed to denting your confidence!
Here is a sample itinerary. Expect this to change in order to take advantage of weather and tidal conditions as well as the best locations for photography.
09:00 – I will pick you up at your accommodation and drive you to our first location.
09:30 – We’ll arrive at our first location, Loch Culbokie, set in a tranquil woodland on the north side of the Black Isle. We’ll run through some theory before setting up our cameras and tripods.
11:00 – We’ll move on to Castle Craig, the ruins of a sixteenth century tower house overlooking the Cromarty Firth. The views here change throughout the year with the crops in the adjacent fields.
12:00 – We’ll travel east and visit the historic churchyards at Old Cullicudden, overlooking the Cromarty Firth and Ben Wyvis, and Kirkmichael, located on the shores above the Udale Bay nature reserve with views towards the Sutors which mark the entrance to the Cromarty Firth.
13:00 – We’ll drive over the hill to Rosemarkie and break for lunch.
14:00 – We’ll explore the enchanting Fairy Glen at Rosemarkie, which will give us the opportunity to stretch our legs and photograph details within the landscape, including an impressive waterfall.
16:00 – We’ll finish the workshop over a hot drink and a snack and run through the day’s images on my laptop.
17:30 – I’ll drop you off you at your accommodation after a successful day of landscape photography. Hopefully you’ll feel that your skills will have improved and you’ll be inspired to put everything into practice as you continue on your photography journey.
The price (£150 for an individual; £200 for a couple) includes the following:
- A light lunch served with a hot drink.
- A tray bake and a hot drink in the afternoon.
- All transport during the workshop and pick-up and drop-off in the Inverness or Black Isle area.
- One-to-one tuition and critique session.
The price does NOT include the following:
- Any additional meals or snacks.
- Any other items not referred to in the itinerary.
To make a booking, please consult the Workshop FAQs and contact me to discuss my availability before completing a Workshop Booking Form and providing payment upfront (£150 for an individual; £200 for a couple).
Tel: +44 (0)7761985752
© Karen Thorburn